Monday, March 27, 2006

Global Warming


I was watching "Real Time with Bill Maher" and successfully controlling my gag reflex as he went on a "Gore-like" diatribe concerning global warming. Look. I want a clean, healthy environment too. Is the globe warming because of us? Maybe, I don't know I'm not a climatologist. The liberals are quick to point the finger of damnation at corporate America (the same corporate America that signs Maher's paycheck) but they aren't as willing to reciprocate the other side of the story. Maher never once mentioned that 97% of greenhouse gases come from volcanic emissions. Why don't Maher and Gore climb every Pacific Rim volcano and shovel their respective holes shut? Of the remaining 3% of gases that we (corporations included) contribute to the "greenhouse" effect, how is it that we aren't a little cleaner than we used to be? Our old 76' wagon had a big carb and no fuel injection and got 8mpg instead of a more modern 20 mpg. Also, would someone more scientifically astute than I tell me if it's possible that the Earth and its atmosphere are just changing because it's time or it wants too? Several areas are warmer, several are cooler, some are drier, and some are wetter. At any rate, the typical liberal response is to stop the economy in its tracks, shut down production, and return to a time of loin cloths and clubs for foraging food.